About St Francis
St Francis Golf Lodge is located on the secure St Francis Links Golf Estate in St Francis Bay which is situated midway between Port Elizabeth on the Sunshine Coast and Plettenberg Bay on the Garden Route.
Ideally situated between the 1st and 10th tees overlooking the famed Jack Nicklaus designed St Francis Links course, St Francis Golf Lodge is the perfect base from which to explore the many attractions of South Africa‘s fabled Garden Route, Route 62 and the nearby malaria free 'Big Five' game reserves.
This exclusive paradise with unspoiled beaches, unique building styles, a rugged coastline, a river linked to a unique canal system, nature areas with numerous footpaths through unique fynbos species, excellent water-sport facilities, two 18 hole golf courses and a leisurely lifestyle draws holiday-makers from all over the world.
With the Lodge situated just 5 minutes from the beach, you can make an early morning walk or swim part of your daily holiday regimen before teeing off for the day. And when the challenge of the Links gets too much, take the opportunity to play any of the many acclaimed courses in the area.
There are loads of options to keep the adventurer occupied too. Spend a day 4x4ing in Baviaanskloof. Take the plunge off Storm River Bridge – the highest bungee jumping in the world, or experience deep-sea fishing, kite surfing, hiking, birding, cycling, canoeing etc. For those who prefer life’s gentler pursuits – a horse ride along the beach or a leisurely boat cruise down St Francis Bay‘s gentle waterways and the Kromme River, navigable for 14km, is the perfect way to take in the magical beauty and unspoilt surroundings of this idyllic part of the world.
Nearby Towns, Tourism Routes & Game Reserves
- Glorious beaches, excellent water sports, leisurely lifestyle and magical beauty –
THE LINKS GOLF ESTATE:
“The Links” Clubhouse, Restaurant and Bar, Pro Shop and Aqua Spa & Skin Clinic
Birding: To date more than 160 species of birds have been spotted in the area.
Sand River Walk: Enjoy the spectacular multitude of fauna and flora on a sand walk along the dunes.
St Francis Parkrun: Join the local residents on a Saturday morning at 8am for a 5km run/walk around The Links Golf Estate.
Walk & Cycle: Explore the secure Links Golf Estate on foot or by bicycle.
ST FRANCIS BAY, THE CANALS & PORT ST FRANCIS:
Boat Based Dolphin & Whale watching
Daily dolphin and seasonal Whale Watching (May to September)
Boating, canoeing, surf-skiing, Stand-Up paddling, open water swimming and fishing.
The Heritage Eco Centre - Museum
You will leave with knowledge of the area that will enhance your holiday experience. Open Wednesdays 14h30 -16h30 & Saturdays 10h30 – 13h30.
Port St Francis
Commercial harbour built in 1995. Home to the ‘Chokka Industry’. Experience its unique charm & sample our local calamari.
River & Canal Cruise
Explore the canals and the Kromme River (navigable for 14km) by canoe or boat. A Sunset Booze Cruise is a must.
Cruises range from Eco Cruises, Champagne cruises, river cruises, fishing tours etc.
St Francis Bay Golf Course
Situated in the village of St Francis Bay, 18 hole golf course.
Surfing & Surf-skiing & SUP
“The search for the perfect wave” at Seal Point, Cape St Francis Bay and “Bruces” at St Francis Bay.
Two Harbours Walk
Hike along the coast from The Heritage Centre, Harbour Road to Port St Francis.
CAPE ST FRANCIS & OYSTER BAY:
Beaching and Beach walks
Spend hours on the wide beaches stretching from Seal Point to Shark Point in Cape St Francis.
Cycling & Hiking
Cycle or hike through the Cape St Francis Reserve, Seal Bay Reserve. Seal Point Nature Reserves or the Irma Booysen Floral Reserve.
Rock & Surf Fishing, Fly Fishing or Deep Sea fishing. The choice is yours!
Take in the sights on horse-back, with a choice of fynbos, or coastal trails – Oyster Bay.
Seal Point Lighthouse
Take a drive (5km) to Cape St Francis to view this National Monument built in 1878. Height: 27.5 meters and the tallest masonry lighthouse in SA and is situated on the second most Southern tip of Africa.
Penguin & Seabird Resque Centre
View the penguins at the SANCCOB rehab centre next door to the Lighthouse.
Walk on the Wildside
Take a guided educational walk on the ‘Wild Side’ at Cape St Francis.
Restaurants in and around St Francis Bay and further afield
- The Lighthouse Restaurant & Jack’s Bar - The Links Clubhouse (Tel: 042 200 4500)
Open every day from 6h30 for breakfast & lunch and on selected evenings for dinner. (Usually Mondays & Wednesdays)
Big Time Taverna – Greek Restaurant & Sushi - The Canals (Tel: 082 900 3212 / 042 294 1309) Closed on Mondays
Bucatini – Pizza, Pasta & Salad - Village Centre Tel: 084 619 4676) Closed on Wednesdays
Café Bijoux – Italian Restaurant – The Canals (Tel: 082 490 1672 / 042 294 0006) Closed on Tuesdays
Chokka Block – Seafood & Grill – Port St Francis (Tel: 042 294 1615) Closed on Sunday nights & Mondays
Christy’s Seafood & Grill –Seafood, Meat, Thai, Sushi – St Francis Drive (Tel: 042 294 1644) Closed on Monday - Thursday for lunch and Sunday Lunch
George’s Taverna – Mediterranean Restaurant – St Francis Drive (Tel: 079 141 0544) Closed on Sundays
- Indigo Moon - Seafood & Grill _ Triton Avenue, Port St Francis (Tel: 042 294 0488) Closed on Sunday nights
- Machics Restaurant & Ale House - Ski Boat & Yacht Club – Sports Bar, Pub Meals – Port St Francis (Tel: 083 683 0269)
Mauro’s – Italian Food, Steaks & Seafood - Port St Francis (Tel: 084 619 4676 / 042 294 0121) Closed on Tuesdays
Pommes Frites – Gourmet Bistro, Pizza & Pasta – Village Shopping Centre (Tel: 042 2940908)
Quaysyde – Barbeque Restaurant – St Francis Marina (Tel: 042 294 0386) Closed on Sunday & Monday
St Francis Brewing Co – Craft beer, Taproom & Grill – 167 St Francis Drive (Tel: 063 274 3743) Closed on Tuesdays
- Get-a-Fix – Juice Bar & Heath food – Village Centre, St Francis Drive
- Legends – Sports, Cocktail & Entertainment Bar – St Francis Drive (Tel: 083 573 9719)
- Olive Tree Junction – Restaurant & Pub – St Francis Drive (Tel: 042 294 1441)
- Pedal & Spoke – Cakes, Health Breakfast & Light Lunch – St Francis Drive (Tel: 083 302 7100)
- Pizza @ 167 – Thin bases -wood burning ovens – St Francis Drive (Tel: 042 294 0996)
- Rambling Rose – Coffee Shop – St Francis Drive (Tel: 042 294 1883)
- Tails & Thyme – Restaurant & Cocktail Bar – Village Centre (Tel: 042 294 0107)
St Francis Market - Crafts, Foods, Bakes and other quirky goods – 167 St Francis Drive (Last Saturday of the month)
- Joe Fish – Family Restaurant - Cape St Francis Resort (Tel: 042 298 0054)
- Rock Lily – Music Bar & Pub – Cape St Francis (Tel: 042 294 1470)
- Grill & Co – Family Restaurant with children’s playground – Humansdorp (Tel: 042 295 2777)
- La Chameleon – Daytime Restaurant – Humansdorp (Tel: 042 291 0262)
- In Food – Bakery, Deli, Catering & Coffee bar – Jeffreys Bay (Tel: 042 293 2923)
- Kitchen Windows - Meat & Seafood, Health & Vegetarian – Jeffreys Bay Tel: 042 293 4230)
- Walskipper – Seafood Restaurant – Clapton’s Beach, Jeffreys Bay (Tel: 042 292 0005
- Padlangs – Country Restaurant – Patensie (Tel: 042 283 0798
- Tolbos – Curious, Farm Fresh Goodies & Light Meals – Patensie (Tel: 042 283 0437)